Butternut-Squash & Pear SoupButternut Squash Recipes
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, chopped,
- 1 leek rinsed well (white part only), chopped, rinsed well
- 1 large butternut squash (about 2-1/2lbs or 1-1/4kg) peeled, seeded, chopped
- 2 Bartlett pears, peeled, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper, or to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Toasted pine nuts
- Crumbled chevre
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium. Add onion, celery, carrot and leek. Cook stirring, 10 minutes until vegetables soften and start to brown. Add squash, pear, stock or water, bay leaves, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Raise heat to high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer 20 to 30minutes or until vegetables are very soft. Discard bay leaves.
Using immersion blender or hand mixer, or in food processor or blender, puree until smooth.
Pour soup into bowls. If desired, drizzle with oil, or sprinkle with pine nuts or cheese. Makes about 10 cups. (5 to 7 servings.
Compliments of the The Star.