CHUNKY APPLE & ONION SOUPApples Onion Recipes
- 1 tbsp (15ml) canola oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Crispin or Golden Delicious apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 tbsp (15ml) chopped fresh sage or 1 tsp (5 ml) dried sage leaves, crumbled
- 1 small sweet potatoe, peeled and diced
- 4 cups (1l) vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat. Cook onions, covered, for 5 minutes or until softened. Remove lid and increase to medium-high heat. Add celery, carrot and garlic, and cook, stirring for 8 minutes or until golden.
- Add apples, sage, and thyme to pot and cook, stirring for about 7 minutes or until apples are softened. Add sweet potato and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 25 minutes or until sweet potatoes are very tender. Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve in shallow bowls garnished with fresh thyme.
Serves 4 to 6.
Creamy Apple and Onion Soup: Place soup in blender in batches and puree until smooth. Add more broth to thin out if desired.
Compliments of Food & Drink, LCBO