ISRAELI COUSCOUS WITH KALE, BUTTERNUT SQUASH & GOJI BERRYButternut Squash Recipes
- 2 cups Israeli couscous
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1lb/450g) peeled, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 1 bunch kale (about 12 stalks)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- ½ red bird’s eye chilli, finely chopped with seeds
- ¼ cup dried goji berries
- ½ tsp kosher salt
In a large pot of lightly boiling water, cook couscous over medium-high heat until tender, about 10 minutes or as per package instructions. Remove with slotted spoon; set aside.
Cook squash in same boiling water, about 8 minutes, or until just tender. Strain; set aside.
Use paring knife to separate kale stalks from leaves. Chop both; keep separate.
In large skillet on medium heat, heat oil. Add garlic, onions and chillies.
Cook stirring, 5 minutes. Add goji berries and kale stems. Stir until softened, about 5 minutes. Add kale leaves. Stir until wilted, about 1 minute.
In a large bowl, combine couscous, squash and garlic-kale mixture. Season to taste with salt.
Makes 4 servings.
Complements of the The Star.