POTATO & SQUASH CAKESPotatoes Recipes Squash
These can be fried and then reheated in a 350F (180C) oven.
- 1-1/2 lbs (750g) of potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 cups (500ml) peeled butternut or buttercup squash, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup (250ml) grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tbsp (125ml) chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp (25ml) vegetable oil for frying
- Place potatoes in a pot of cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Reserve.
- Place squash in a pot of cold water. Bring to a boil and boil for 6 to 7 minutes or until tender but not soft. Drain and return pot to stove to dry off squash. Reserve.
- Skin potatoes and grate coarsely. Grate squash into potatoes, stir in cheese and thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Form mixture into 4 cakes about inch (2.5cm) thick.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat and fry cakes for 3 minutes per side or until a crust forms and they are heated through.
Compliments of Food & Drink, LCBO