PUMPKIN SWIRL BROWNIESPumpkin Recipes
- 1 oz (30g) cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup (50ml) sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp (25ml) pastry flour, sifted
- ½ tsp (2ml) vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp (1ml) cinnamon
- 6oz (175g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3tbsp (45ml) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (125ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup (125ml) pastry flour
- ½ tsp (2ml) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1ml) salt
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C) and grease an 8 inch (20cm) square baking pan.
- For pumpkin swirl, stir cream cheese and sugar. Add pumpkin and beat well. Blend in egg, pastry flour, vanilla and cinnamon. Set aside.
- For best results, prepare brownies by hand, not with electric beaters. For brownies, place chocolate and butter in a metal bowl over a pot of barely simmering water and stir until melted. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Stir in vanilla then eggs 1 at a time, blending well after each. Sift in flour, baking powder and salt and stir in gently. Scrape half of batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Dollop pumpkin filling onto brownie and dollop remaining brownie batter around pumpkin. Swirl filling with tip of a knife and bake for 30 minutes, until a tester inserted into the centre of the brownie comes out clean. Cool at room temperature before slicing.
Makes 16 brownies.