RED CABBAGE AND CRANBERRY STUFFED PORK LOIN WITH CIDER CREAMCabbage Recipes
- 1 tbsp (15ml) butter
- 3 cups (750ml) finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup of cranberries, chopped
- ½ cup (125ml) finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp (5ml) dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) boneless pork single loin
- 3 cups (750ml) small cubes crusty whole grain bread
- ½ cup half-and-half Cream
- ¼ cup (50ml) unsweetened apple cider or juice
- 1-1/2 cups (375ml) unsweetened apple cider or juice
- ¼ cup (50ml) finely chopped onion
- 1tbsp (15ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250ml) 10% half-and-half
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 325F (160C)
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add cabbage, cranberries, onion, thyme and ½ tsp (2ml) each of salt and pepper; sauté for 10 minutes or until cabbage is starting to brown. Transfer to a bowl; let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, trim any excess fat from pork. Place pork on a cutting board fat side up and short end facing you. Starting at the right side with knife parallel with board, cut pork in half almost but not all the way to the left side to butterfly; open up like a book. Stating in the centre of opened loin, with a knife parallel to board cut in half, almost but not all the way through, to butterfly again then repeat on the right. Open up both sides and press to make an even thickness.
- Stir bread and cream into cabbage. Press evenly over cut side of pork , leaving about 1 inch (2.5cm) at one short side bare. Starting at opposite edge, tightly roll up jelly-roll style; tie with kitchen string. Place in roasting pan. Brush with some cider; season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 2 to 2-1/2 hours, basting twice with remaining cider, until meat thermometer inserted into centre registers 155F (68C). Tent with foil; let rest for 10 min.
- Cider Cream: Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring cider and onion to a boil over high heat. Boil until reduced by about half. Reduce heat to medium. Whisk flour into cream; gradually whisk into pan. Cook, whisking, for 3 min. Or until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice roast crosswise into eight slices and serve with the cider cream.
Roast: 2-2-1/2 hours 8 servings
Cooking tip: To save time ask your butcher to butterfly the roast for you.
Compliments of the Milk Calender