SEAR –ROASTED STEAKS WITH CARAMELIZED PURPLE CABAGE & ONIONSCabbage Recipes
- 2 tbsp (25ml) of butter
- 1 purple (red) onion halved and thinly sliced
- 6 cups (1.5l) shredded purple cabbage (about ½ of a small cabage)
- 2 tbsp (25ml) packed brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup (50ml) red wine vinegar
- 4 boneless beef rib steaks or other grilling steaks, about 1 inch (2.5cm) thick
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
- Melt half the butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add onion and sauté for about 3 minutes or until starting to soften. Add cabbage and sauté for 5 minutes, or until wilted. Stir in sugar, 1 tsp (5ml) salt, and pepper to taste. Pour in vinegar. Transfer to a large baking dish; set skillet aside. Cover dish with foil and roast for about 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Uncover and roast, stirring once, for about 30 minutes or until starting to brown and caramelize.
- Meanwhile, season steaks with salt and pepper. Heat skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking. Add remaining butter and swirl to coat pan. Add steaks in batches as necessary, and brown for about 3 minutes per side turning once. Place on top of cabbage in baking dish and drizzle with any pan drippings. Roast uncovered, for about 10 minutes for medium-rare or until desired doneness.